ERA 5 .0
Frequently Asked Question
If you do not find solution for your problem/ issue/ query, you can e-mail us at
Table of Content
o Operating System Requirements for Server
§ Windows XP
§ Service Pack 3
§ Windows Installer Version 4.5
§ Internet Explorer version 7.0 or above
§ IIS v5.1 or later
§ Windows Imaging Component
§ SQL Server 2008 R2
§ Windows 2003 Sever
§ Service Pack 2
§ 2. MSXML
§ 3. Windows Installer Version 4.5
§ Internet Explorer version 7.0 or above
§ IIS v5.1 or later
§ Windows Imaging Component
§ SQL Server 2008 R2
§ Note: During installation of SQL Server 2008 R2, Windows Installer creates temporary files on the system drive. Before you run Setup to install or upgrade SQL Server, verify that you have at least 3.6 GB of available disk space on the system drive for these files. This requirement applies even if you install SQL Server components to a non-default drive.
o Hardware Requirement
§ Processor: Minimum: 1.0 GHz, Recommended: 2.0 GHz or faster
§ RAM: Minimum: 256 MB, Recommended: 1.024 GB
§ Minimum 10 GB HDD space
o Here is the list of pre-requisites for QOES & Try IT applications.
§ Operating System:
§ Windows XP with SP3 OR
§ Windows Server 2003 with SP2 OR
§ Windows Vista SP1 or later
§ Windows Installer 3.1
§ Windows Installer 4.5
§ Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile (x86 and x64)
§ Office 2010 Runtimes
§ Report Viewer 10
o General Software Requirement:
§ Microsoft Office 2010
§ Adobe Flash Player version 11.0
§ Adobe Acrobat Reader 10
Centers can verify from the following that ERA 5 is not installed properly.
· All the Shot Cut icons of ERA 5 (Learner, learning Facilitator and Data Traveller) should get displayed properly on desktop. If not then check following.
o Go to Control Panel à Add Remove Programs
o And check that ERA 5 is displayed in the program list or not.
o Some time it happens that short cut icons are not displayed properly specifically Data traveler icon is not created. And the ERA 5 is not listed in the program list in Add/Remove program in control panel. Then following needs to be done.
· Insert the Auto Installer DVD without OS and select ERA 5 and EAR 5QOES and install it once again.
· Check the above parameters once again for proper installation of ERA 5.
o Yes, there is difference between the Installation and Activation.
§ Installation: - ALC Installs ERA 5.0 from the ERA 5.0 framework DVD given by the MKCL, by which the software framework gets installed; however it will be available for use only after its activation.
§ Activation: - ALC activates ERA 5.0 by clicking the Activate button on the Learning Facilitator login screen. Only after activation ALC can use the ERA 5.0
o This error comes, when Report Viewer is not installed on the machine.
o To resolve this issue, kindly install Report Viewer 10 from the ERA 5.0 framework DVD.
· Install .NET Framework 4.0
· Following is the list of the entire prerequisite to be installed for Try IT and IPT:
o Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile (x86 and x64) - Folder: dotnetfx40client
o Office 2007 Runtimes - Folder: vstor40
o Office 2010 Runtimes - Folder: office2007piaredist
o Report Viewer 10 (ReportViewer.exe)
Center can download this from internet
o Take a Challenge is recorded when following message is displayed after the completion of challenge.
o In case following message is not displayed it means that Take Challenge is not getting recorded. In that following things can be done to resolve the issue.
· Upgrade your browser to Internet Explorer 7 to 8. Take a Challenge is not getting recorded in Internet Explorer 6.0
Solution 2:- Use this solution only if solution 1 is not working.
· Go to Run/Command Prompt
· Type “SFC /SCANNOW” and press Enter
· This command requires Operating System CD/DVD to recover the registry files which has been corrupted.
o This message comes when content is not loaded from MS-CIT e-Content DVDs given.
o Both the DVDs Content 1 and 2 needs to be loaded.
o Following is the procedure for mapping the network drive:
§ On any of the network machine (other than server machine) share a folder. (give all permission to everyone user from security setting)
§ Now in ERA Mapping drive enter \\machinename\sharedfoldername and select any of the drive from Z: to J: or present in dropdown.
§ You can use this backup in case the Data Traveler is not working or if your local ERA server machine gets corrupted.
· In case of above error do the following:
· Go to C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\era5
· Delete “Setup Files” folder
· After deleting try installing ERA 5 QOES.
o QOES client is not to be installed manually.
o It gets automatically downloaded from the local ERA server machine and gets installed on the client machine, when the learner clicks on ‘Go to Test’ button in his login.
o Yes, for activating the ERA 5.0 internet connection is required.
o Following are the prerequisites for ERA 5.0 Activation
§ Successful installation of ERA V5.0
§ Time Zone of the server machine where you are installing the ERA 5.0 should be Indian Standard Time (Chennai, Mumbai, Delhi, Calcutta)
§ System date and time of the server machine where you are installing the ERA 5.0 should be set to current.
§ After doing above changes try to for ERA 5.0 Activation.
o You can reinstall and activate ERA 5.0 only twice.
o If for any reason, this count exceeds 2, then the center should mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with the reason for reinstallation.
ERA 5.0 – Academic Information
o Total 100 marks of MS-CIT are distributed as shown below:
§ Internal Evaluation (ERA)
· Take A Challenge : 25 Marks
· Take A Bigger Challenge : 25 Marks
· Final Examination : 50 Marks
1. Objective Questions : 15 Marks
2. Practical Questions : 35 Marks
o The learner will pass if he/she scores minimum 40 Marks out of 100 with:
§ Internal Evaluation: Minimum 20 marks out of 50.
§ Final Examination : Minimum 20 marks out of 50 with:
· Objective Questions: Minimum 6 Marks out of 15.
· Practical Questions: Minimum 14 Marks out of 35.
o Learning Progression Marks calculation will be based on ‘Take a Challenge’ and ‘Take a Bigger Challenge’.
o Total number of challenges available : 250
o Each challenge has 0.1 Marks.
o If a learner solves all the 250 challenges successfully without using hint, he will score full 25 marks for Take a Challenge.
o Total number of Take a Bigger Challenges: 125
o Each Bigger Challenge has 0.2 marks
o If a learner solves all the 125 challenges successfully without using hint, he will score full 25 marks for Take a Bigger Challenge
o A learner can select any one challenge at a time to solve:
o While solving the challenge,
§ For Take a Challenge
1. If the user uses the hint to solve it, he will score 50% marks for that challenge i.e. (0.1)/2 = 0.05 Marks
2. If the user solves the challenge without using the hint, he will score 100% marks for that challenge i.e. 0.1 Marks
§ For Take a Bigger Challenge
1. If the user uses the hint to solve it, he will score 50% marks for that challenge i.e. (0.2)/2 = 0.1 Marks
2. If the user solves the challenge without using the hint, he will score 100% marks for that challenge i.e. 0.2 Marks
o If a learner has scored 50% marks (0.05/0.1 Marks) for any challenge, then the learner can attempt to solve the same challenge again and if this time he solves it without using hint he will score 100% marks (0.1/0.2 Marks)
o A particular challenge can be attempted any number of times, though the maximum marks for that challenge will always remain 0.1/0.2 Marks.
o Interim Performance Tests and eContent has no weightage in final MS-CIT certificate.
o If the learner completes all the 30 Internet activities, he will get an additional ‘Digital Citizen Certificate’.
o If the learner completes viewing of MS office Case studies, he will receive 3 certificates of Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
o By solving the Interim Performance Tests, the learners will get the IPT certificates.
o There is no minimum passing mark for mid-term examination and has no weightage in Final Certification.
o Yes, you need to install the following on the client machine:
§ .NET 4.0
§ Report Viewer 10
§ ERA Quasi OES Client
o Check the LAN connectivity first; check that all PC’s are accessible from the server machine and vice a versa.
o Disable the firewall setting of Client and server.
o Try adding URL for accessing ERA 5.0 Learner login in Trusted and Intranet sites.
o Internet Explorer 7.0 or higher is highly recommended for accessing ERA 5.0.
o eContent will not visible in any other browser. ( Firefox, Chrome etc)
o Install Adobe Flash Player 10 from the ERA 5.0 framework DVD.
o This error message comes when the eContent is not loaded.
o Load the content using the ERA eContent CD.
o This issue may occur if regional settings are not enabled on your machine. Do the following to resolve this issue:
§ Go to Control Panel
§ Select Regional and Language Option
§ And enable the complex scrip and Asian languages
o Install the Mangal font from www.esakal.com.
o Login in to LF
o Select Download Batch Wise Learner Data
o Select the respective course for MS-CIT
o Click on the download button
o This message is displayed because
§ The operating system on the server machine is Windows XP, (which supports 5 clients) and more than 5 users are trying to accessing ERA 5.0 at the same time.
§ Check if the intranet/LAN band width is sufficient to handle the load.
§ If you want that more than 5 client needs to be connected the Server operation system should be Windows Server 2003.
o This is because your machine does not support Hindi/Marathi font.
o These fonts need to be installed on the machine using the Windows XP Professional CD.
o To resolve this issue
§ Go to Control Panel >> Regional and Language >> Language Tab
§ In the Supplemental Language Support, select the first checkbox. Click on OK of the alert Box.
§ In the Supplemental Language Support, select the second checkbox. Click on OK of the information Box.
§ Click on Apply
§ Click on OK and insert Windows XP Professional CD.
o You can get MKCL Learners Id from the Learner Login Report
o Login using your Learning Facilitator Id.
§ Go to Tutoring >> Reports >>Learner Login Report
§ Select the Course, Month and the Learning Start Date. This report contains the Learner ID.
o This message comes in following cases :
The password of the learner is more than 20 characters.
1. Ask the learner to change his password and make it less than 20 characters.
2. “Change Password” link for the learner is on his/her Home Page.
3. Enter the Old Password, then the new Password(less than 20 characters).Click on “OK”.
4. Try giving the exam again.
When the ERA V 5.0, local server name has been changed
o Login to ERA using your Learning Facilitator Login Id.
o Go to Academics -> Enable Mid Term Examination
§ Enter the Center Password and click on Download.
§ A Message of successful installation is shown.
o This message will come while solving the Practical Questions of Microsoft Office.
o Your machine does not have Microsoft Office installed on your machine.
o Install Microsoft Office. And try again.
o This message comes when the ERA V 5.0 Quasi OES Server is not installed on the Server machine.
o To install the ERA V 5.0 Quasi OES Server, use the ERA V5.0 auto installer DVD.
o Steps to reinstall ERAQOES Client:
§ Permanently delete (shift+del) the two folders in folder 2.0 of your ERA Local Server machine and all the client machines.
§ The path of the folder 2.0 is C:\Documents and Settings\<User name of the machine>\Local Settings\Apps\2.0
o Steps to reinstall ERAQOES Server:
§ On the ERA Server machine go to Start >> Settings >> Control Panel >> Add Remove Programs.
§ Remove Microsoft SQL Server Desktop engine(ERAQOES)
§ Reinstall ERA QOES Server from the ERA Framework DVD (ERA5.0\ ERA_QOES_Installer\ERA_QOES_Installer).
o Go to Task Manager >> Processes >> Right click on the explorer.exe and stop it.
§ In the Task Manager Go to File >>New Task (Run) and enter ‘explorer.exe’. Click on ‘OK’.
o This issue comes if the folder ‘eGifts’, mentioned in this path does not have sufficient permissions. To resolve this issue, on the local ERA server machine do the following:
o Give full access to the ASPNET user for the folder C:\inetpub\wwwroot\ERA5\Utilities\eGift
o Give full access to the Network Service user for the folder C:\inetpub\wwwroot\ERA5\Utilities\eGift
o This issue comes if the folder ‘e-Portfolio’, mentioned in this path does not have sufficient permissions. To resolve this issue, on the local ERA server machine do the following:
o Give full access to the ASPNET user for the folder C:\inetpub\wwwroot\ERA5\e-Portfolio
o Give full access to the Network Service user for the folder C:\inetpub\wwwroot\ERA5\e-Portfolio
o This messages comes when your ERA server machine date is changed to either previous than last login date. In that that case follow below mentioned process.
o On LF Login page, click on the Synchronize Date link.
o You will get the following message
o Change your system date to the date mentioned in the message above.
o Now delete the cookies and the Temporary internet files from your machine.
o For this do the following :
§ In the Internet Explorer go to Tools >> Internet Options
§ Go to General Tab >> Browsing History >> Delete button
§ Click on Delete Cookies and Delete files… buttons
o The above error comes when the database services for the ERA V 5.0 Application are Stopped or Paused.
o To resolve this problem do the following steps.
§ Go to Start RUN
§ Type “services.msc”
§ Start the services for SQL Server(ERA5)
o ERA files might have got corrupted.
o You will have to reinstall ERA 5.0 and SQL Server.
o After reinstallation, you could restore the ERA backup from the mapped network drive.
o After doing all the settings restart the machine and try accessing ERA again.
o To resolve the issue center must download the Learners again by using the link ‘Download batch wise Learner’ from LF login and select the respective Hindi or Marathi course for MS-CIT and the respective batch.
o ERA 5.0 has built-in Auto Update feature.
o This auto update feature is called ERA Assistant.
o Internet connection is required for the functioning of ERA Assistant.
o Whenever a new update is made available, ERA assistant will pop up as shown below
o After uninstalling the ERA, sometimes actual folders does not get delete. This might create problem while re-installation of ERA.
o You need to delete the following folders after installation and before re-installation.
o C:\inetpub\wwwroot à ERA5 (Delete this folder)
o Uninstall ERA 5.0 and SQL server 2008 R2 from the current machine
§ (Start>>Control Panel>> Add/Remove Programs>>ERA5).
§ (Start>>Control Panel>> Add/Remove Programs>>SQL Server 2008 R2(Here in the dropdown select ERA5)).
o Ensure that all prerequisites for ERA V 5.0 are fulfilled (Refer Q.1 in this document) on the other machine and then install ERA V 5.0 in the other machine.
1. Kindly ensure the updates are installed in Sequence CU1, SU1, CU2, SU2, SU3 & SU4.
2. Go to the path C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\ERA5
3. Find the text file named UpgradeLog_Content.xml and UpgradeLog_Framework.xml
4. Delete both the files
5. Reinstall the ERA 5 CU1, ERA 5 SU 1, ERA 5CU2, ERA 5 SU2, ERA 5 SU3 and ERA 5 SU4 from http://elearning.mkcl.org/support/mscit/updates.htm
6. Before reinstalling the updates, kindly ensure that no one is using ERA on Server and the client machine.
ERA 5 SU 5 is being released as a Consolidated update meaning that SU 5 will have all the updated within itself i.e. SU1, SU2, SU3, SU4 which are released till date in ERA 5 except for the Content Updates CU1 and CU2. So in order to install SU5 only two content updates CU1 and CU2 should have already been installed in the ERA server machine. ERA 5 SU 5 will get installed automatically from the ERA Assistant Utility on the ERA server machine as and when the Internet is connected.
Scenario 1: ALC has installed all the updates for ERA 5 released till date i.e. CU1, SU1, CU2, SU2, SU3, and SU4. Till this point ERA Assistant will show the summary of ERA update installation as shown in screenshot below.
After Installing ERA 5 SU5 automatically through ERA Assistant or manually from ERA Support Site, the Update installed summary will be shown in ERA Assistant as below.
SCENARIO 2: ALC has installed ERA 5 framework on a freshly formatted machine. After installation of ERA 5 framework, if ALC has database backup from the old machine, ALC can restore the database through the Data Traveler Utility and then install the updates in the following Sequence. ALC can skip installing the updates that were released earlier i.e. SU1, SU2, SU3 and SU4.
As already mentioned above, that ERA 5 SU5 being consolidated update, after the ALC has installed SU5, ERA Assistant will show the summary of update installation as shown in screenshot below. So if you see the below screen after installing SU 5 do not panic as this message is being shown as SU5 is consolidated update.
Sequence in which updates are to be installed
Following mentioned issues will get resolved after installing ERA 5 SU 5
1. Issue faced by Satellite Centers while trying to open Learner Login Report in LF login
2. Course definition not proper message being shown in MS-CIT for Schools and MS-CIT Course when solving Take a Challenge and Take a Bigger Challenge activities as per the screenshots below. ERA 5 SU5 will resolve this issue
3. In MSCIT when the Learner clicks on the View Course Content, following issue was coming. This issue will be resolved in ERA 5 SU 5.
4. Some ALC’s were getting issue while accessing the Student Login report from LF login. This issue will get resolved after installing ERA 5 SU 5.
5. Learner were not able to download eGifts from there login even though the eGift was downloaded by LF from LF login. This issue will be resolved after installing ERA 5 SU 5.
6. For WAVE courses, ALC were facing the issue of the Learning progression marks for WAVE courses are not getting recorded and also after viewing the content, the color of frames is not getting changed nor the Dashboard in Learner login was getting reflected properly. This issue will be resolved after installing ERA 5 SU 5.
7. In WAVE YCMOU certified courses, after solving and uploading the Assignments, marks were not getting reflected in Learner login nor in WAVE Learning Progression reports in LF login. Some ALC’s after uploading the assignment from Learner login were getting message as” Submitted and Forwarded for Evaluation” or “Re-evaluated” in Learner login Inbox for Assignment page. All these issues will get resolved after installation of ERA 5 SU5.
8. While uploading data from LF login, some of the ALC’s were facing the issues as per the two screenshot below. Installing SU5 will resolve this uploading issue.
9. While uploading ePortfolio activities for MSCIT course, some ALC’s were facing the issue as per the screenshot below. This issue will also get resolved in ERA5 SU5.
10. While viewing Content for MSCIT for Schools, the Learner gets stuck on a particular frame and gives message ”To view this page, you should first view all previous pages which are marks in ORANGE; and is not able to view the next sequential frame (Orange Frame). Such issue will also be resolved in ERA 5 SU5.
11. While giving IPT/Midterm/Final exam from Learner login for WAVE or MSCIT course following issue was coming. This issue will be resolved after SU5 installation.
Only 2 ERA reactivations are allowed in any center, so if you have already activated twice, send a mail to the email@example.com to allow activation for your center.